Website design is a lonely pursuit.

I said to Jimmy (who is my husband for those who don't know) a couple of days ago that it gets lonely working on our website. I don't have much to talk with him about that is interesting to the average non-geeky person. He is not geeky. We are sitting right across from each other for most of the day and lately I am the silent type, focused on my screen, reading the text in the Adobe help section online, and fooling around with code. What can I say?

I don't have any really geeky friends. So my beginning a conversation with, "I am so excited about Spry widgets! Aren't they cool? Have you tried one out? Did you have any trouble with it? What new ubergeeky thing have you tried this week?" is not a great jump start to scintillating conversation with 99.9% of the people I know and certainly not with Jimmy although he is patient and does listen, even when he doesn't have a clue what I am saying.

He nods his head and smiles. But that isn't the same as his response when he has a clue what it is that I am saying. I get the same kind of response with others up til their eyes glaze over and they wander away.

I think it would be cool to talk with others about this geeky stuff. But maybe I am kidding myself. I concede that as a topic it is dry. Not sexy at all. Even if a Spry widget does border on sexy. To some of us.

Very occasionally I meet someone who would know something about Spry widgets and CSS and Templates and Noneditable regions but I do mean VERY occasionally. Like about as often as I meet chicken with teeth! Well, maybe more often than that. But it isn't often. And even when I do, they aren't often interested in "talking shop" right then.

Either they work at it for a living and talking about Spry widget stuff is just like their usual day at work and they don't feel like talking about it away from the office. Or they are so far advanced at it over my poor fumblings in the intricacies of code that my excitement is comparable to someone trying to start a conversation with Bill Gates on the topic of copying and pasting text. I'll bet he would smile and nod too but for a different reason.

Anyway, this morning I began working on a Spry Tab Panel! This is so cool! But I'll bet you're not excited by this news.

I am going to be away from the computer for a while today and see some actual real people! That is cool too! I am looking forward to it!

I am going to have to find something to talk about even though my entire life lately has been spent mostly here in front of this computer monitor or hovering over a book on Dreamweaver, trying to master the intricacies of website design. So finding something to talk about other than my recent daily life is a challenge for me. But I've mastered more difficult challenges. Like Spry! (But not div tags yet. That'll have to be another day.)

Onward!


Ginny

Popular Posts