Redesigning virginiacaputo.com.

My other recent goal, after the sofobomo online book project, has been to redesign my (which has become "our") website. I know that the site design up to now has not made it easy for people to buy our items unless they wanted to buy from us on ebay. I had it set up so that visitors would be directed to our ebay listings rather than try to buy from us directly. Thus making our sales more dependent on ebay, even as I am losing faith in the management of the company. Something has to change and I can't change ebay. I can change the way we do things. The time has come to work on changing how the website is set up.

I had wanted to use Dreamweaver to redesign the site but the problem is that I know how to use GoLive. Going through the learning curve to understand Dreamweaver sufficiently to redesign the site was taking forever. I am reading one of the books on Dreamweaver. A big thick book. I am slogging along through it. I decided that I was never going to get the site redesigned if I waited till I got through that book. I sat down and began redesigning using GoLive. After it is all done, if I want to work on putting it into a Dreamweaver format, I can try doing that then, at my leisure, no pressure.

The site is now in its new format although not yet finished. But it is up. My goal is to add catalogues of items that we have for sale in different categories. The format of the catalogues is the pdf which can be downloaded. I have the first catalogue completed. That is the Ephemera Catalogue which would be one of the smaller catalogues. I did that one first because it would take less time than a catalogue of one hundred items. I wanted to figure out the basic form that a catalogue would be in before I tackled one of the larger categories.

These are first steps in a path to making us more independent from online selling venues such as ebay. I dislike having our fate tied to management decisions with which I do not agree and which often infuriate me. I do think that I have not had our website designed efficiently for business and I want to correct that.

The next steps involve completing and uploading more catalogues for the categories. Then I intend researching how to make our site more visible to customers than it has been. So that they know that they can come there to browse our items rather than try to go through the thousands upon thousands of listings on ebay, trying to find an item of interest.

One step at a time I am progressing forward.

BTW we used to have a website with both of our last names on it but we let it go when it wasn't productive and we weren't working at it. So we've ended up with a website with just my name on the domain. But it is for our whole business run by both of us, not just me. It's just worked out that way. It's simpler to use my own existing domain name than get a new domain. At least so far. Another day I might change my mind on this point. But that is why only my name is in the domain name.

It takes so much more time and is an opportunity to make more typos if the domain name was jamessmaxwelljrandvirginiacaputo dot com!!!

Ginny

Popular Posts